Our old Sunday School class had what you could call a key statement. It was "Blessed to be a blessing." We were all challenged regularly to remember that God doesn't just bless us because He loves us, but He also intends us to use those blessings in order to be a blessing to others. B and I took that message to heart and have tried our best to instill it in the boys. Sometimes we think it is getting through, and honestly, sometimes we know that it isn't at all.
Last year for C's birthday, we decided to ask friends to bring a donation to 10/40 connections instead of a gift. Don't worry. C still got plenty of presents from family members. We explained to C that he was really blessed and that he has so many people that love him and give him everything he needs. We told him that there are little children in the world who don't have parents, enough food, or clothes to wear. We told him that the donations that people brought him for his birthday would help to buy little girls in India brand-new clothes that they could wear to school. He was...shall we say...iffy. He went along with it though. A month or two ago, he started planning out his birthday. He likes to get a headstart. It isn't until January. He informed me that this year, he would really like for his friends to bring him presents. He let me know that he LIKES presents and that more presents seemed like a good thing. I told him that was okay, if that was what he really wanted.
WELL, today in the car, after some stellar trick-or-treating. C was musing over all the great things he had received in his treat bag. He was also talking about the fun birthday party that he is going to tomorrow. He was wondering what presents his friend would be getting. He then sat there quietly for a few minutes. After his pause, he said, "Mommy, I got a lot of presents from you and Daddy last year. I got lots more from my family too, didn't I?" I agreed. He was quiet again. He then said, "I'd like to get presents from my family again, but I think it would be good if my friends gave money to the little boys and girls who don't have anything again. I have so much and they don't. I think we should help them again."
I, of course, had to work hard to hold it together after that. I am thrilled beyond words. What mom doesn't pray that her child would have a heart for others? A heart like Christ's is what I ask of God for my sons. I ask that everyday they would be more like Jesus. Today, C showed me Christ in his heart. I know that God was smiling! He and I were rejoicing that C is making the decision that he is blessed to be a blessing!
沖縄県宜野湾市の自動車保険!安くておすすめを簡単に見つける方法
4 years ago

2 comments:
You go, Little C!!!
Lalu!
Oh, this is the best story. I love seeing his little brain reason things out, especially when there's so much heart involved. You are raising such a good kid. Tell him his Aunt Watoosa is proud of him, and I still plan on getting him a Christmas present.
Post a Comment